LOS ANGELES — Gun rights groups filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles on Friday to block further implementation of a new law banning the marketing of guns to minors by manufacturers and others players in the firearms industry.
Governor Gavin Newsom signed into law AB 2571 last week under an emergency order to take effect immediately. Any promotion of firearms to those under 18 can result in fines of $25,000 per incident, it says.
“This law is a clear violation of the First Amendment of speech and assembly,” said Chuck Michel, president and general counsel of the Fullerton-based California Rifle & Pistol Association, among the plaintiffs in the lawsuit.
“It’s really an attempt to wipe out the next generation of hunters and shooters,” he said. “Sacramento politicians don’t even try to hide their disdain for ‘gun culture’, which they don’t understand or support. They want to destroy it. »
The lawsuit filed in federal court against state Attorney General Rob Bonta alleges that the law violates free speech rights under the First Amendment. Other plaintiffs include Junior Shooters – publisher of a shooting magazine for young people – and groups such as the Second Amendment Foundation.
Representatives from Bonta’s office could not be reached for immediate comment.