How a hockey stick prevented a theft, the four-day workweek trial begins and the latest move by SMS scammers in the latest New Zealand Herald headlines. Video / NZ Herald
A second protest and march is planned in Auckland this Saturday, as police have yet to file a complaint over the highway storming last month.
The Freedom and Rights Coalition, which is behind the upcoming protest, has revealed that it is also planning a large protest on the grounds of Parliament in a few weeks.
The group, led by Brian Tamaki of Destiny Church, is set to hold a “Kiwi Patriots Day and March” at the Auckland Domain on Saturday morning.
At this stage, details of the route for this weekend’s march have not been shared with the public.
It comes just two weeks after a similar mass rally and march paralyzed Auckland’s South Freeway when protesters unexpectedly marched down a stretch of the busy national freeway, taking motorists by surprise.
Hundreds of protesters marched on an on-ramp and onto the freeway, at one point halting traffic in both directions and leading to queues stretching for miles.
Shortly after the protest, police said they intended to pursue protesters heading towards the Auckland Central Freeway section. But despite the start of legal proceedings a day after the July 23 protest, no one faces legal action.
Today a police spokesman said their investigations into the first protest were ongoing and ‘no charges have yet been laid’.
In their latest Facebook posts, organizers say the upcoming march is meant to be “a united mass movement and show New Zealand how many patriotic Kiwis want New Zealand back”.
It also claims to be an “opportunity to unite freedom fighters across the North Island and rally the public for the events to come”.
A similar march is also planned in Christchurch the following weekend.
It is meant to precede a larger protest in Wellington, which promises to be a ‘mass clean-up of Parliament’.
The rally, which follows a protest convoy organized on both sides of the country, will see people gather in Parliament on August 23.
The coalition says it will host a “people’s court” on the steps of Parliament for “crimes against Kiwis”.
Scheduled to coincide with the session of parliament, organizers of the protest say they intend to present a vote of no confidence and challenge the opposition to call for the same before forcing a snap election.
The protest comes just five months after anti-mandate protesters blocked Wellington’s central streets and occupied Parliament grounds, building a makeshift tent city.
The 23-day protest ended violently after police intervened on protesters, with fire engulfing tents and protesters pelting police with paving stones.
An investigation into the last day of the occupation has led to 16 prosecutions to date and one referral to Youth Services, in addition to other prosecutions initiated during the event.